Monday 12 May 2008

Meduse

Jellyfish - The 'Pelagia noctiluca', commonly known as the 'Mauve stinger', is one of the many different kind of jellyfish world wide, which population has alarmingly developed over the past decades. Here also in Pantelleria, they have become the key issue for whether to go for a swim in the sea or not. Scientists believe that these explosive growths are a clear indication of the our ailing seas. Overfishing, nutrient pollution, global warming and the introduction of non-native species seem to be the causes. These jellyfish stem from the Red sea, but as global warming continues, they can now be found as far north as Northern Ireland, where on November 21, 2007, a one-metre thick by 25square kilometres large swarm of jellyfish wiped out a 100,000-fish salmon farm.

3 comments:

Tom said...

Amazing how many there are! You probably did NOT go for a swim ;-)

Anonymous said...

I've been in Pantelleria for 4 times in my life: summer 2002, 2006, 2007, may 2008...
I feel there is something special about this island and it keeps me coming back... I'd love to spend a week there in september.
As I love to swim in the deep blue sea of Pantelleria, the mauve stingers have alsways been a problem... is there a chance that they are not back this summer?

Anonymous said...

hello pantelleriabookproject.blogspot.com blogger found your website via search engine but it was hard to find and I see you could have more visitors because there are not so many comments yet. I have found site which offer to dramatically increase traffic to your site http://mass-backlinks.com they claim they managed to get close to 4000 visitors/day using their services you could also get lot more targeted traffic from search engines as you have now. I used their services and got significantly more visitors to my site. Hope this helps :) They offer most cost effective services to increase website traffic at this website http://mass-backlinks.com